7 Simple Bathroom Renovation Ideas You Can DIY
Looking for some simple changes that can pack a punch? These bathroom renovation ideas are gorgeous - and you can absolutely DIY at home. Check them out here.
Are you looking for some bathroom renovation ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg? Looking to revitalize the space you have without plunging yourself into a mountain of unwanted debt?
If you are, you've come to the right place.
Bathroom Renovation Ideas
Forget everything you may have heard and everything you have read about the cost of renovating the important areas in your home. Here's the truth, and it's good news:
You don't actually have to sell your soul to remodel your bathroom.
If you're willing to get stuck in with some elbow grease, we have some great ideas that will give your bathroom the cosmetic makeover it's been craving. And those ideas won't break the bank. Because you don't have to completely gut your bathroom to give it the fresh facelift you want.
So, whether you're remodeling to sell your home or you're looking for a totally different look altogether, we've got some simple bathroom renovation ideas to get you the best bang for your buck.
Ready for an upgrade and ready to DIY?
Great! Let's get to it.
7 Simple Bathroom Renovation Ideas You Can DIY
1. Making the Best Use of Space
Before you begin renovating all of the obvious fixtures in your bathroom, it's a good idea to get to grips with the amount of space you have first.
Whether it's the master bath or the guest bathroom under the stairs, you can maximize the space you have to create a totally different feel in your bathroom.
So, how exactly do you do that? How do you make the most of the space you have without having a claustrophobic feel? And, more importantly, how do you create maximum maneuverability without compromising on style?
Always remember functionality comes first.
Here are some cool ideas:
- If you're a dab hand at DIY, consider using a corner sink. Sinks are notorious for dominating space. A corner sink keeps things classy and frees up other areas.
- You can wall mount the vanity. It will make the room appear bigger and you'll have more pace for other things.
- Extend a counter over the toilet. In this, the placement of the toilet will be unaffected and, done correctly, this can become a centrepiece.
- Practical storage is always a winner. If possible, take advantage of vertical space and take your cabinetry up the wall.
- Have open shelving in your bathroom. It’s a hot trend and it isn't going anywhere, so why not roll up some soft, sumptuous white towels and display them on open shelves?
Lighting is always used to create depth and highlight space. It's also an absolutely essential component in creating the right type of ambiance.
For most of us, the bathroom needs to be a tranquil, soothing place. Peaceful lighting that contributes to a calming atmosphere is important.
Here are some general bathroom renovation ideas for lighting:
- Try to use low power bulbs wherever you can. The last thing you want is a renovation that costs you money into the future.
- Consider using a variety of different lighting options. The practical advantages are obvious, but there are some decorative ones too. Why not try out some pendant lights to illuminate the vanity area? Or how about some sconces around the mirror?
- In terms of lighting shades, contemporary shades help to eliminate dark areas in your bathroom and they also create the appropriate ambiance.
Along with smart lighting, the use of colour can transform a bathroom completely, taking it from dull to delightful almost instantly.
For an elegant upgrade, use light colours. Cool tones always help to create a tranquil ambiance and old-school white is the ultimate in sophistication.
For a clever contrast, you might want to consider using black and white or purple and different tones of lavender. These colours are hip and trendy, and they'll give your bathroom a totally new vibe.
4. Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Who is the fairest of them all? You, of course.
But what kind of mirror is best to use and where should you put it?
Bathroom renovation ideas come with a variety of different mirror types. In many cases, it all boils down to personal taste.
Here are some to consider:
- Framed or frameless
- Cabinet mirror or no cabinet mirror
- Shadow box or ledge mirror
- Extension mirrors
- Swing-arm mirrors
- Lighted mirrors
In terms of where to put the mirror, a good rule of thumb is to angle it towards the focal point of your room. This will give the room the illusion of more depth.
If you want to reflect the outdoors, consider placing a mirror near a window. While putting a mirror on a wall will give your room a more open feel.
5. The Right Bathroom Accessories.
Bathroom renovation ideas don't have to be too complicated. Something as simple as upgrading your fixtures and accessories can totally transform your bathroom. Purchasing just the right kind of feature can radically alter the look and feel of your bathroom.
You might want to buy a high-end plumbing fixture for the shower or sink. Or you might consider a feature piece like a heated towel rack.
To add an edge to your bathroom that will stay on trend and last well into the future, black tapware might just do the trick.
6. The Bath Tub
You don't want to splash out for a new one, but the bath tub has seen better days? Time to refinish it instead. The process is simple and there are several DIY kits that you can buy to help you. What's involved?
You simply repair the damaged areas with polyester putting. Then, you prep the surface with acid etching.
Not only is this very kind to your pocket, if you use a little imagination, you can create your own unique and refreshing statement in style.
7. Vanity Tops
Like bathtubs, you can also use DIY kits for refinishing vanity tops. If you have a cultured marble vanity top, you can polish it with car wax. While laminated tops can be covered with a variety of different decorative tiles.
Cheap and cheerful? You've got it.
Bathroom Renovation Ideas to Surprise and Transform
So, have you started on your renovation yet? If not, why not? You can now consider yourself well versed in the best DIY bathroom renovation ideas out there. And, now that you have the knowledge, you have the perfect excuse to put it to some good use.